Next weekend Mike and I were intending to go to Sydney to watch Clarkson, Hammond and May Live (the new incarnation of the Top Gear Live show). On Wednesday, while considering which hotel to book, we realised that instead of buying tickets to the Sydney show, my darling husband had instead bought tickets to the Perth event a week earlier. Yep, oops!
So, two days later we were catching a plane across the country for my first ever trip to Western Australia.
We began Saturday driving to Fremantle, just half an hour from the centre of Perth. After a wander through the market, and a stop for cupcakes, we took a tour of the Fremantle Prison. The prison operated from convict times up until 1991, when it closed down due in large part to the toilet facilities in the cells not having progressed beyond buckets.
44 people where hung at Fremantle Prison however the oak beam on the gallows saw over 100 deaths, having been relocated when a different prison closed down. Bureaucracy cares about the oddest things sometimes.
In the afternoon we took a two hour boat cruise up and down the Swan River. We saw some insanely expensive waterfront property, including the home of Australia's richest person Gina Rinehart, but really the cruise was just ridiculously relaxing.
We finished off the day with the reason for our trip, Clarkson, Hammond and May Live. I did enjoy the show, but I loved seeing Mike almost giddy with excitement. I'm not sure he's ever been so concerned with not being late, and said it was 'Good to see the boys in fine form'.
After breakfast on Sunday, we drove to King's Park for a last look around before heading to the airport for our midday flight home.
We didn't really do that much, and it's an awfully long way to fly for a day and a bit. but it was a pretty darn great weekend. Relaxing, low key and fun. Just what we needed.
On the weekend Mum came to visit, with lunch and a card making request or two. I think this is my favourite card I've made in quite a while.
A white card base, a patterned paper and a contrasting plain with dimension adhesive and my Silhouette Cameo made an easy and striking, personalised card.
Mac, by the way, was my Mum's boss - pre me!
Prompted by my friend Ella, I'm sharing 10 things that I love and 10 things that I don't.
1. Our wedding album. It's thick and heavy and luxurious and wonderful.
2. Getting my hands dirty with my pottery wheel.
3. Tim Tam Chocolicious Bites. They're incredibly more-ish.
4. Snuggling down into winter scarves and my beanie.
5. Trashy TV.
6. Making cards for people who appreciate them.
7. The excited 'Lanie!' and smile I get when cutie niece is pleased to see me.
8. Ginger beer.
9. Incredible restaurant meals, where flavour combinations are surprising and the chef is a master.
10. Binge reading book series on my Kindle.
1. Miserable short days where the light disappears before I'm even off the train home.
2. Construction on the tram line that adds a few extra blocks walking to my commute. Yeah, it's probably good for me but I struggle to get to work anywhere near on time as it is.
3. Getting out of bed on winter mornings.
4. Hanging out washing.
5. The sound of people eating. It totally irks me.
6. Decadent (not healthy) food that disappoints and wasn't worth the calories.
8. Flat batteries.
9. Having taken photos with a disappointing focus.
10. Spam email and the promotional emails that just keep coming and coming.
July will be...